At VDL-5 Technologies our company started with the creation of content for IETMs. We have the experience needed to setup, develop, integrate and deploy all levels of IETMs. Our experience includes the development and integration of troubleshooting that reads data from equipment and follows a troubleshooting tree to resolve an issue. We know how to build an effective IETM for troubleshooting and maintaining military equipment.
As part of the development of IETM content, the VDL-5 technical writing team provides the following services:
- Analyze OEM/vendor provided documentation to generate a complete symptom based troubleshooting list. The equipment is analyzed to fill in any information not available through existing documentation.
- Work with OEM Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to document the operation, troubleshooting and maintenance of equipment.
- Based upon all the components of the target equipment, complex troubleshooting logic trees are developed to address a whole range of possible symptom based failures.
- Troubleshooting procedures are created by adding detailed step by step procedural instructions complete with locator graphics, links to schematics if applicable as well as supporting test equipment user instructions.
- Using OEM supplied source data for parts and maintenance tasks, convert schematics and vendor COTS manuals into formatted text fitting military standards including MIL-STD-40051 and MIL-STD-38784.
- Create XML tagged data that is compliant with the relevant military specifications.
- Add hot spots to graphics to link to parts information and other relevant information.
- Use version management of the file set and a work flow process to manage the development and revisions of the IETM.
- Work with IETM viewer vendors to resolve issues during the integration of the IETM with diagnostic software, schematics viewer and training software.